Need help on a program.

Captain Obvious captainTRASHobvious at rocketTRASHmail.com
Wed Oct 18 11:33:00 EDT 2000

I am taking a Python class in college, and am stuck on a program I am writing.

Here is the error I get:
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "C:\Jim's Stuff\College Stuff\CS120\Python Programs\JRC_07.py", line 37, in ?
    main()
  File "C:\Jim's Stuff\College Stuff\CS120\Python Programs\JRC_07.py", line 17, in main
    infile = open("p7.dat", "r")
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'p7.dat'

Here is the program I wrote:

# JRC_07.py
# Program written by James Cory for October 18, 2000
# This program, using p7.dat, will keep a running total of heating degree days
# and cooling degree days.  One heating degree day is added for every degree the
# temperature is over 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and one cooling degree day is added
# for every degree the temperature is below 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

def main():
    #Greeting Section
    print "This program, using p7.dat, will keep a running total of heating degree days"
    print "and cooling degree days.  One heating degree day is added for every degree the"
    print "temperature is over 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and one cooling degree day is added"
    print "for every degree the temperature is below 60 degrees Fahrenheit."
    hdd = 0
    cdd = 0
    day = 0
    infile = open("p7.dat", "r")
    temp = eval(infile.readline())
    while temp != "":
        if temp > 80:
            amount = temp-80
            hdd=hdd+amount
            day=day+1
            print "Day: ", day, "Cooling Degree Days: ", cdd, "Heating Degree Days: ", hdd
        elif temp < 60:
            amount = 60-temp
            cdd=cdd+amount
            day=day+1
            print "Day: ", day, "Cooling Degree Days: ", cdd, "Heating Degree Days: ", hdd
        else:
            day=day+1
            print "Day: ", day, "Cooling Degree Days: ", cdd, "Heating Degree Days: ", hdd
    infile.close
    print
    print "+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+"
    print "The final results are:" cdd, "Cooling Degree Days: ", hdd, "Heating Degree Days."
main()
raw_input ("Press <enter> to quit")

Thanks in advance.  I can't get ahold of my professor, and am really stuck.

--
===

Thanks for taking the time to read my posting.

Take out the TRASH to respond via email.

Any views expressed in this USENET posting and/or
attachments are not necessarily those of
Wartburg College.

Go Knights!