Class Browsers vs Static Types (Re: Inefficiency of __getattr__)

Joachim Durchholz joachim_d at gmx.de
Tue Oct 10 16:30:12 EDT 2000

Bruce Hoult <bruce at hoult.org> wrote:
> In article <8rst48$iqoq6$1 at ID-9852.news.cis.dfn.de>, "Joachim
> Durchholz" <joachim.durchholz at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > C++ compilers started as C preprocessors. Yet enough people liked
> > C++ so that it would be accepted.
>
> This is wrong.  C++ has *always* been a true compiler that just
> happened to produce C output instead of assembler (as indeed many
> functional languages do).  Objective C was originally a
> preprocessor (and it shows in the syntax).

Hmm... I'm not sure where to draw the line here.
Actually CFront was always presented as a preprocessor to me - was that
a misrepresentation?

Anyway. C++ still didn't rely on an IDE with an integrated code
management system to succeed, so my point still holds: OO didn't become
popular due to fancy class browsers, even though most OO programmers
would like to have such browsers for their C++ projects :)

Regards,
Joachim
--
This is not an official statement from my employer or from NICE.