LONG_BIT == 64, can't compile

Johannes Zellner johannes at zellner.org
Sun Oct 15 02:10:25 EDT 2000

Hello,

the following lines of the latest python from cvs
make it uncompilable here:

Include/pyport.h:384

#if LONG_BIT != 8 * SIZEOF_LONG
/* 04-Oct-2000 LONG_BIT is apparently (mis)defined as 64 on some recent
 * 32-bit platforms using gcc.  We try to catch that here at compile-time
 * rather than waiting for integer multiplication to trigger bogus
 * overflows.
 */
#error "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong for platform (bad gcc config?)."
#endif

LONG_BIT is apparently 64 here.

I use:

    GCC 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)

hmm. I just commented out the above lines which makes python
compile but I can't do integer multiplictaions.

So: how can I compile the stuff then ?

--
   Johannes