CPython vs. Jython/JPython

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Mon Oct 30 01:56:26 EST 2000

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, D-Man wrote:

> Hi.
>
> This isn't to start a flame war, but to clarify some confusion I have.
>
> I am wondering why there are two separate python interpreters being
> developed (the one in C, the other in Java).

Well, the truth of the matter that Barry and Guido aren't on speaking
terms ever since Guido couldn't force Barry to say that IDLE is better
then python-mode for editing Python. Since then, Barry decided to hijack
Jim H's interpreter in Java, and maintain it, just to let Guido know
he isn't afraid of him.

Well, either that or the fact that each interpreter has different
advantages and disadvantages: the C interpreter is much easier to extend
in C (JNI is *hard*), and takes much better advantage of platform quirks.
The Java interpreter is X-platform for "free", is able to run inside
browsers and is easier to experiment with, and is quite a bit slower, and
quite a bit harder to install, since it depends on installing Java.

> Wouldn't it be more productive if both teams worked together on one
> interpreter?

Well, both interpreters are developed in tandem, and are kept carefully
in sync by Guido and Barry. (I think Jeremy has agreed to be a neutral
mediator).

> Another thought I had was that it would be easier to make
> python cross-platform if it was written in Java

You don't really buy that "Java is portable" propaganda from Sun, do you?

> Isn't it also
> possible to write Java extensions in C?  (read: ... python extensions in
> C (using the Java interpreter))

possible != easy
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> -- 95855124