Incompatible .pyd files with Python 2.0 (and win32comm)

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Wed Oct 18 02:35:57 EDT 2000

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:39ED37CB.C4A4F6F7 at engcorp.com...

> Is it really the case that *all* old .pyd files will need to be
> recompiled from source, *with* source modifications (because of an
API
> change?), in order to work with 2.0?

No - recompilation is necessary, but source changes are not.

> I'm thinking specifically of the win32commc.pyd file with the
win32comm
> module by <wheineman at uconect.net> (this is NOT the same as the
win32com
> module in PythonWin, but is a SWIGged wrapper, for the Win32 serial
port
> DLL, for which I haven't found source), and the 'calldll' module
from
> Sam Rushing.

The good news is that later win32all builds (including 134) has a
native serial port in the win32file module.
win32\demos\win32comport_demo.py shows how to use it...

It could do with a high-level .py interface, but capturing all the
possible semantics of the win32 api would be hard, so I just exposed
it natively.

Mark.