Public Domain Python

lvirden at cas.org lvirden at cas.org
Sat Oct 28 12:43:03 EDT 2000

According to Courageous  <jkraska1 at san.rr.com>:
:
:> Safe from what, though?  The copyright holder can change a license any time
:> they feel like it, and the GPL has no magical power to prevent that.
:
:I disagree; once you have granted someone the right to create a derived
:work, and that derived work exists, you have no legal ability to withdraw
:their ability to continue to own/sell their derived work.

If that were the case, then a product could never have a license change -
but they change all the time.  Most license that I've read in fact address
the issue of future changes to the license; if GPL/OpenSource/BSD/etc. do
not, then they probably should.

What seems to make sense logically is that one can chance the license on
anything that has not yet been distributed, which would include a new
release of a product (even if said new release had, as the only change,
the new license).