copy protection

lynx noone at nowhere.com
Wed Oct 18 20:13:24 EDT 2000

"Joshua Muskovitz" <josh at open.com>, in <39ed24b1_1 at corp.newsfeeds.com>:

> Well, given that he's talking about *porting* their app, I would say
> that their entire client base would be that stupid.  Licensing code to a
> particular machine is actually quite common, especially for expensive
> software.  Using the network adapter ID or other unique identifiers is
> no big deal.

except that most modern NICs will let you reset their hardware address
to whatever you choose. SCSI device UID's might be an idea, though, so
long as the disk doesn't crash, or...

>  I'm sure that if they need to move to another machine, it
> is probably just a phone call or an email to get a new key.

that would of course be necessary anyway. which sort of makes you wonder
what the point of the exercise was again, no?

 - lynx, who thinks this scheme is a lot of trouble to go to just to
         keep the honest men honest - especially knowing, as we of
         course do, that it still won't keep a sufficiently determined
         bad guy out.