Code obfuscation / decompilers? (fwd)

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Oct 7 01:01:46 EDT 2000

"Joshua Muskovitz" <josh at open.com> wrote:
  The actual algorithm for generating the keys and taking them apart
  originates in older code written in C.  It was fairly easy, given the
  original C source, to produce a python equivalent.  But...  I don't want
  prying eyes to easily reverse engineer our key validation process, or it
  will become useless.

I would say that if reversing engineering of your key validation process
makes it useless, then it is already useless right now.

Security through obscurity is ALWAYS a bad idea.  OTOH, if your
encryption process puts its strength in a good algorithm and good keys,
it makes no different at all if someone reverse engineers it.  The
strength is in the quality of the keys, and their secrecy.

Yours, Lulu...