Python 2.0 and Visual C++ 5.0: Enemies?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sun Oct 1 19:04:59 EDT 2000

David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:

>But it is true that if you use a binary distribution (e.g., pre-built
>libraries) that was build with VC++ 6.0 you might not be able to link
>with them depending on the version of the linker you have - the import
>library format changed from 5.0 to 6.0 - the 6.0 version is more
>compact (often significantly).

Yep, I found this explicitly stated on Microsoft's web site shortly after I
posted my original question.

The overall lesson is this: if you use the prebuilt Win32 binary release of
Python 2.0, you must use Visual C++ 6.0 to build any C extensions.  The
.LIB format is not compatible with any older compiler.

>It sounds like perhaps the build process for the binary distribution
>for Windows should use the older library format, just to be safe.
>There's a /LINK50COMPAT option on the library manager that should
>generate such import libraries directly, or there's a /CONVERT option
>that can be used to convert an existing library to the older format.

That's one option.  It's not necessarily BAD that the prebuilt .LIBs are in
a 6.0-only format, but that restriction should perhaps be noted.

Thanks for your help.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.