Low cost web hosting with Python

Olivier Dagenais olivierS.dagenaisP at canadaA.comM
Sat Oct 21 09:18:12 EDT 2000

I found a few more providers that hosted Python CGI (at a cost, but it is
usually worth it):

http://www.futurequest.com  - a bit expensive, but their developer page
claims: "If you have a solid need for a custom designed Apache server, we
can custom tailor it to your exacting requests. We will also take requests
as to which standard Apache modules you would like to see compiled into the
main server."  However, they told me FastCGI (mod_fastcgi for Apache) was
too much of a security risk and a maintenance problem to install. :(

http://www.bitera.com - a very good deal (as low as 10 bucks a month for 250
MB), although they only have Python version 1.4 but I'm sure you could
install whatever version you want in that space.  No answer on FastCGI
hosting.

I finally got an answer from http://www.youthofamerica.net concerning
FastCGI and it was No, sorry, too much trouble.

Still no answer from http://www.prohosting.com on FastCGI hosting

I even clicked on a banner (a first for me!) and I got to
http://nomonthlyfees.com - Python 1.5.2, 200MB, $235 setup fee and $35/year
after that (that's like 3 bucks a month) but they didn't get back to me on
FastCGI hosting.

Last, but certainly not least, I found a provider that was _claiming_
FastCGI hosting!  [ http://www.egroups.com/message/fastcgi-developers/4058 ]
http://www.netcommunity.com - I e-mailed them and got a quick response to
virtually all my questions and I was able to bargain a really good deal with
Bill Chatfield.  Python 1.5.2, 100MB, $25/month - but you might also be able
to get more for that price, just ask... (since they don't have a "hosting
package description" page on their site...)

Maybe these should be added to that list of Python-friendly ISPs I see
resurfacing from time to time??

Olivier A. Dagenais - Software Architect and Developer
"Someone called 'Type your name here' is impersonating me on the
internet and is posting exactly the same things I am posting!"