help<newbe>please!!

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Oct 11 09:39:47 EDT 2000

[posted & mailed]

grass hopper wrote:

> I have a 500mhz amd - k-6 mb - 128mg ram runing win98  i built it my
> self.

Nice work.  Better than most of the stuff I have bought in the last
three years!

> I have got some question's about python.

Well, you seem to have come to the right place :-)

> this is going to sound stupid but i just don't no what it means whats
> this  e.g.  mean. Is it like ect. so-on?

"e.g." means "for example".  I think it's from the Latin phrase
"exemplia gratia", but I failed Latin thirty-five years ago :-(

I'm guessing English isn't your primary language, but you are
doing well!

> I have been going through the tutoral,The python manual's
>  I want to work with images. I have put togather a simple little game
> with .html. it works fine.But how ever i can't even get python to open
> a image.
> do i have to call on the browser to open a image? if so how do i do
> this?

Are you wanting to use Python to put images in an HTML page, or are you
wanting Python to display images on the screen?

If you want to display images on the screen then Windows is the best
environment.  I can't think of a way to display images from Python in
DOS, but others may know more.

> this is a short of the game
> you are asked :which is the pic of a cow
> there are 3 pic's to pick from like  01(pig.jpg) or 02(dog.jpg) or
> 03(cow.jpg).

A simple educational game?  If you use Windows, you could later on
replace written questions with sound files, so people who can't read
can still learn.  There's been a lot of good work on sounds lately,
though I heven't yet used any of it.  But that can be release 2 ...

> I really won't to learn python but this is really getting to me.
> would someone show me the code to do this or point me
> in the right direction.

Well, I suspect you're trying to go a little too fast.  There are
a number of modules which can help.  First you would need to learn
something about building graphical user interfaces (GUIs).

> I won't it to run in windows as a stand alone game

Stand-alone meaning it takes over the whole screen, or something else?

> I'm not asking for a handout just a hand

The best approach.  GUIs are quite a complex subject, and there are a
number of possibilities to choose from.  Many Python programmers feel
that Tkinter (the system used by Idle, which comes with Python) is a good
way to go, and it will work in UNIX as well!

You are being fairly ambitious for a beginner, but don't stop!  Take a
look at

	http://www.python.org/topics/tkinter/doc.html

and the programming examples you should see in the Demo\tkinter area
inside your Python distribution.  Then, perhaps, take a look at the
PIL (Python Imaging Library) module, which you can find more about,
and download, from

	http://www.pythonware.com/downloads.htm

> I won't to wright the game in python .

Good for you.  There are a number of people writing games in Python,
it sounds like it's a good envirnoment for that task.

Hope this helps.

regards
 Steve
--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/