Python 2.0b2 and Redhat 7.0

Mark Watts mwatts at stny.rr.com
Mon Oct 9 16:56:09 EDT 2000

"Jeremy Hylton" <jeremy at beopen.com> wrote in message
> [Tim reports compile problems in intobject.c caused by
> /usr/include/bits/xopen_lim.h defined LONG_BIT to be 64.]
>
> This is a known bug with some versions of GCC and/or glibc.  The
> definition for LONG_BIT is clearly wrong and you should report that
> bug to whoever is responsible for it.

[snip]
FYI:  I don't know if this particular problem is caused by RH 7.0 using GCC
2.96, but 2.96
is a development branch for the GCC 3.0 compiler.

"Binaries built using any version of GCC 2.96 or 2.97 will not be portable
to systems
based on one of our regular releases." Quote from :
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-announce/2000/msg00003.html

Also, see /. discussion
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/10/07/0027218&mode=thread

-Mark Watts