Python and tkinter on FBSD 4.1

Dave Brueck dbrueck at edgix.com
Wed Oct 11 09:24:57 EDT 2000

> I seem to be having a problem getting tkinter support
> compiled into Python. I
> have the proper headers for tkinter support, in the proper
> place (I believe)
> but make can't seem to find them.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE. Here's the relevant section in my Setup
(minus the comments):

_tkinter _tkinter.c tkappinit.c -DWITH_APPINIT \
-I/usr/local/include/tk8.2 -I/usr/local/include/tcl8.2 \
-I/usr/X11R6/include \
-I/usr/local/include/tk8.2/generic \
-L/usr/local/lib \
-ltk82 -ltcl82 \
-L/usr/X11R6/lib \
-lX11

I wouldn't recommend moving the files at all; that'll just come back to bite
you later. Instead use -I<dir> to add a directory to look in for header
files, and -L<dir> to add a directory to look in for libraries.

Does that help at all?
-Dave