Announcing Jython, the sucessor to JPython

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Oct 20 13:50:16 EDT 2000

In article <8sprsr028jb at news1.newsguy.com>, Alex Martelli wrote:
>"Grant Griffin" <not.this at seebelow.org> wrote in message
>news:39EFF829.500C37 at seebelow.org...
>> entropia wrote:
>> >
>> > Then I can have PyPepsi or PyNike as trademark?
>>
>> Maybe not...but since "Java" was a term for coffee before it was a
>> trademark for a computer programming language it may not be any
>> different than "PyCoffee", "PyTea", and "PyMocha".
>>
>> the-pepsi-people-and-the-nike-people-are-smarter-than-the-sun*
>>    -people-ly y'rs,
>
>And "Nike" was a term for "victory" (in Greek) from since
>well before anybody raised coffee in the island of Java.
>So why would it be 'more protectable' as a trademark...?

Probably because the word "Nike" wasn't in common use (except
as the name for a missile) in the US before Nike adopted it as
a trademark.

You can trademark a commonly used word like "Java" only in a
specific context like "programming languages".  Something
that's not a word or not in common usage like "Kleenex" can be
trademarked for all commerical usages.  As usual: IANAL, YMMV,
etc. and so on.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  FEELINGS are
                                  at               cascading over me!!!