"Portability" (was: How to create a Unix Domain Socket?)

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Thu Oct 19 12:30:06 EDT 2000

Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> One risk of this approach is that you wind up following Java's
> least-common-denominator approach.  Not every platform supports
> select()?  Then you can't use select() on any platform at all...

Nonsense. There wouldn't be GreenThreads in Java if that was the approach
taken.

Personally, I like Tcl's approach, which hides select() (or whatever) behind
a much, much higher-level abstraction of "events". Instead of blocking on a
select, you just say "Go do stuff till you run out of stuff to do, then get
back to me." Then you can "select" on things like a variable being updated,
or all the windows finishing their refreshing, etc.

(Got my python essential reference last night. Got a plane trip next week.
Guess what? :-)

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.