Problem with japanese characters in filenames

Jan Wender ian at leo.science-computing.de
Mon Oct 16 15:01:37 EDT 2000

With Python 1.5.2 I had problems with japanese characters in filenames
on MS Windows. In the native character encoding (952, I believe) the
backslash is an allowed second character of a multibyte sequence. This
broke os.listdir, because it splits directory and file names at
backslashes.
Has somebody experience with this with newer Python versions? Does
unicode help here in any way? As far as I know, the windows
interfacing part of Python is written with the 8bit functions.
Thanks for any light on this,

Cheerio,
--
J.Wender at science-computing.de - Fon +4970719457-257 Fax-27
Living With Other People: Civilization is a religion. (Talking Heads)