Compiling Python on multiple platforms...

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Tue Oct 31 11:09:55 EST 2000

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 11:33:45AM -0600, Bjorn Pettersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to start compiling Python on a number of *nix systems
> (Solaris,HPUX,AIX,True64,IRIX,Linux). To make matters more interesting
> I'm only making these to the point where our sysadmin can say "make
> install" (they're so sensitive about the root password ;-)
>
> Question 1: We'll be doing some xml work. Do I need to download and
> compile expat seperatly, or does it come with the Python 2.0 tarball?
You need to get and compile it sep.

> Question 3: Are there any of the above platforms where Tkinter doesn't
> work? (is this a separate install?)

Okay on Solaris and Linux

> Question 5: I'm hoping to have _one_ source installation, and compile
> the binaries so they're not conflicting with each other... Is this
> possible?

I was using separate Setup.in files for the different plastforms to handle
provide different flags for compiling some of the modules. This might just be
laziness to figure out how to merge these properly on my part though.

Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com