python-mode in xemacs -- font-locking and auto-indentation b0rken

python-mode at python.org python-mode at python.org
Thu Oct 26 10:42:15 EDT 2000

    RH> However, I have noticed (in GNU Emacs) what you describe with
    RH> Python-mode getting syntax-confused sometimes -- in particular
    RH> with nested quoting characters.  See attached.

This happens in both Emacs and XEmacs, and there's little that can be
done about it.  The syntax table primitives cannot be taught about
triple quoted strings, so when you write the following in Python

    '''...'''

Emacs thinks it's 3 adjacent strings.  That usually does the right
thing (thank goodness Guido didn't make them just double-quoted!) but
as you noticed, it gets messed up when an embedded quote character
screws with the quote parity.  You just have to beware of this and
swap quoting characters, or escape embedded quotes.

-Barry