Installing 2.0 with a 1.5.* version in place

Robert Roy rjroy at takingcontrol.com
Sun Oct 8 11:34:10 EDT 2000

On Sun, 08 Oct 2000 12:06:23 GMT, olczyk at interaccess.com (Thaddeus L.
Olczyk) wrote:

>Several questions about installing 2.0b2.
>First when will 2.0final be ready?
>If someone says this week, then I am not going to bother
>until final is out (why do it twice in a short span?)
>
>Second do I have to unistall 1.5.*, or can I just install 2.0
>over it?
>
>Third what other "software packages" am I going to have to
>update ( WinPython, IDLE, libraries...).
>
>I'm doing this both on linux and on Win NT 4.0sp1000000 ( or whatever
>the latest).

Install 2.0 in a separate directory. The only gotcha I have found is
that the installation sets the file association for .py files to the
newer version so you might get some unexpected results depending on
how you start the program if you do not also change your path variable
to point to the new version.

For example if I type at the command line v2specific_code.py it runs
ok under v2 if I type python v2specific_code.py it tries to run under
1.5.2.

Easy to fix but I am too lazy and anyways it suits my purposes as it
is.

Bob