Licencing Python as extension in commercial app?

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Tue Oct 31 17:09:50 EST 2000

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:23:15 GMT, Owen F. Ransen wrote:
>Licensing Python as extension in commercial app?
>What is the deal? I'd like to use Python to extend
>a new graphics app I am writing, but I need to sell
>the app to buy bread.
>So...do I need to buy a license, or is it free or
>what?

You don't need to buy a license; you're given one already, and it grants
permission to do just about anything you'd like to, deliberately including
any commercial use, including commercial use in which you modify the
source code and don't distribute the results.

So go for it.  Many others already have.  Good luck, and let us know how
it works for you.  If you find and/or fix bugs or add features to the
language we'd be grateful to get the patches, but that's completely up to
you.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley