How many people are making COM objects with Python?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 08:46:24 EDT 2000

"Roger Upole" <rupole at msn.com> wrote in message
news:h1JC5.29740$g6.3879769 at pouncer.easynews.com...
> The only references I've seen were right here on clp.
> One poster (Syver Enstad) identified a pattern whereby the
> missing events all have an IDispatch pointer in the parameter list.

Yes, and I managed to reproduce this completely with a small
artificial event-generating COM object.  To be specific, if an
event has a VARIANT type argument, it will be passed on OK if
the variant type is set to string, number, etc, but not if the
variant type is set to VT_UNKNOWN or VT_DISPATCH.

This is 100% reproducible.  I tried looking at the sources to
understand why it was happening, but was stumped, and haven't
yet begun to look again (I only returned from vacations two
days ago and am a bit swamped with other stuff).

Alex