Zope availability (was Re: pythonlabs.com website down -- 2.0c1 still available!)

Jim Fulton jim at digicool.com
Thu Oct 12 18:13:29 EDT 2000

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
> >
> > Thomas Weholt wrote:
> > > The main Zope homepage was also down for a long time some
> > > weeks ago. It doesn't exactly do a good job at marketing Zope as a viable
> > > platform. Could we get some info on how the problem occurred so we can avoid
> > > it?
> >
> > We sometimes use zope.org as a bit of petri dish. For example,
> > during the time you refered to above, we used zope.org
> > to test (and, as it turned out, debug) a new release of ZEO.
> > Maybe we shouldn't use zope.org this way, but it sure is convenient
> > having a site that gets hit hard to try new software out on. :)
>
> My opinion is that you (and we, by extension) would be better off *NOT*
> using zope.org this way, as the various times it has been offline,
> though possibly all due to experimentation, have combined to give me a
> moderate concern about how suitable Zope might be for "high
> availability" applications.

There are many who agree with your sentiment. :)

(snip)

> Although www.pythonlabs.com was apparently offline only briefly, I was
> looking for it at the time.  I have to agree with Thomas' warning that
> this kind of thing, while perhaps helping Zope *development*, does not
> help Zope marketing.

The PythonLabs problem was not due to anyone experimenting with
Zope, or due to a Zope failure. It was due to a bug in an application.

> I'm sure there are many, many of us who would be only too happy to help
> beat up on a victimize-me.zope.org site which was explicitly made
> available as a target for testing new releases of Zope technology... :-)

This is certainly something we should consider.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton           mailto:jim at digicool.com   Python Powered!