[Numpy-discussion] ?

Greg Ewing see at my.signature
Sun Oct 29 22:01:32 EST 2000

Rainer Deyke wrote:

> It should be noted that kids in school typically learn integer division with
> remainder before they learn about fractions or decimal numbers.

However, in my experience that kind of division is not
all that useful in real life. The solution to the
problem of dividing 5 apples between 2 people is
most often (provided someone has a pocket knife)
"2 and a half apples", not "2 apples and throw the
other one away", as your primary school teacher
would have told you.

Let's-ditch-our-computers-and-go-back-to-using-
those-little-coloured-rods-of-different-lengths-ly,

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg