large file support

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Sat Oct 21 05:07:37 EDT 2000

 | In fact I get the MemoryError even when trying to read 2GB files.
 | When I run configure before building python, it indicates that
 | large file support *is* enabled.

a couple of guesses:
you might have resource limits set too low. you can use the "ulimit"
command in sh, or, iirc, "limit" in csh.

or you might have accidentally compiled python in 32-bit mode.
that means you can only access <2gb on many systems. try telling
your compiler that you want 64-bit executables.

if those don't help, take 2 aspirin and post again in the morning...

  -- erno