all i want to do is plot a matrix!!!

Nick Bower bowern at
Thu Oct 19 19:01:05 CEST 2000

> >all i want to do is import an image (say .png, .gif) to a matrix of colour
> >values (rgb) so i can manipulate them with my own maths functions, do
> >lookups etc etc ...

you may try pydl (python clone of IDL).  i'm not sure if it's what you want, and it's
only for linux right now, but what's there is quite functional with superb
documentation.  we have students using it now and then to import ascii/image data, plot
and manipulate it.  images are read directly into numpy arrays which can be easily

if it's not what you want, i'm sure you could at least look at the python source and