PythonWin IDE sucks!

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Sat Oct 28 01:16:57 EDT 2000

Dale Strickland-Clark wrote:

> Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> >Haven't read them all, but some followups have made helpful comments
> >on your approach.  (Maybe helpful to others, anyway, you look like a
> >lost cause.)  I would add, when proposing or requesting something
> >here, stifle the impulse to say "otherwise I will have to take my
> >marbles and go elsewhere", or "otherwise everyone will use Perl
> >instead of Python", or any variation on that theme.  You have no
> >idea how comical that is to people who have been using Python for
> >lo these many years.
> >
> >       Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu
>
> It may sound comical but unfortunately, that's the way
> it is.
>
> We develop software for clients, frequently under
> strict time constraints.
>
> We are currently on our first project using Python.

Great stuff!

> This project was all set to be developed with J++ but I
> picked up the Python on Win32 book a while ago and
> started a bit of a diversion. I eventually pursuaded
> the project leader to go for Python. (Although this was
> as much to do with J++'s uncertain future as any
> advantage of Python's)

Light is beginning to dawn.

> Being late isn't an option so when things don't go
> well, we just have to work harder to make it up.

Ah, so you're feeling ratty about PythonWin because
you're having to work late/too hard to avoid missed
deadlines.

> If the project isn't judged a success, and Python is
> considered the limiting factor (language and/or tools),
> then it probably won't get used again - not for client
> work, anyway.

And you are the one who persuaded the project leader to
consider Python, so your ass is on the line if the project
isn't a success.

We can talk later about the advisability of changing horses
in midstream (or even once you've first got your toes wet)
if you want, but once the learning curve is climbed Python
*is* a highly productive programming environment.

> I'm quite keen that we use it again.
> --
> Dale Strickland-Clark
> Out-Think Ltd
> Business Technology Consultants

I'm sure the various pieces of advice you've received under this
thread (not to mention a few gratuitous insults) have got your
project moving forwards again.  PythonWin really is a pretty good
environment, though I personally don't have enough experience with
the MFCs to get the most out of it (yet).

chalking this down to overwork -- you will find a way to get
Python to work just as you want it!

Good luck with the project.

regards
 Steve
--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/