type() and types

Terry Hancock hancock at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 4 21:31:36 EDT 2000

Hi,
I'm implementing a new object class in Python to
do fuzzy logic, and for various reasons I need
to check the type of variables to determine if they
are fuzzy logic values.

It seems like the "right" way to do this is to
somehow provide type() the capability to do this,
and this seems to be how some of the standard
modules work (since they provide new types), but
amongst "Learning Python" the "Python Reference
Manual" and the "Python Library Reference" I'm
not able to figure out how this is done.  Maybe
I'm just being thick, but I couldn't find anything
about it.  What am I missing?

Does anyone know how to do this?
TiA!

--