Class Browsers vs Static Types (Re: Inefficiency of __getattr__)

Matthias Blume see at my.sig
Fri Oct 6 13:37:53 EDT 2000

Andreas Rossberg <rossberg at ps.uni-sb.de> writes:

> David Bolen wrote:
> >
> > I actually disagree about your every line of code comment.  Perhaps
> > not repeatedly in regression tests or automated testing, but I do
> > expect every line of code that I write to be executed during
> > development at some point - even if I have to write dedicated code to
> > do it.  So pretty much the same stuff that the compiler would catch my
> > tests will catch.
>
> Note however, that a static type system gives you a certain set of
> guarantees not only for every line of code, but for every possible
> execution path (to speak in imperative terms). A test suite can almost
> never achieve that.

Even better: Static typing can give you guarantees about every line of
code that will ever be *linked* with the current code inthe *future*
(i.e., about code that nobody has even written yet).

Matthias

--
Matthias Blume <blume at k_u_r_i_m_s.k_y_o_t_o-u.a_c.j_p>
Kyoto University, Research Institute for Mathematical Sciences