Possible bug (was Re: numpy, overflow, inf, ieee, and rich comparison)

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Wed Oct 11 08:22:17 EDT 2000

 | So the remaining question is why the same exp from the same library has
 | different errno behavior depending on which version of Python it's called
 | from.  *That* one we couldn't answer, after a fruitless time digging thru
 | the Byzantine glibc source code trying to reverse engineer it.

maybe it's a symbol versioning things. if an incompatible bugfix/change
is introduced, it is possible to just increment the symbol version
so new programs compiled against the library use the newer
version of the function, and older binaries (potentially relying
on the old behaviour) get the old one. try recompiling
1.5.2 and see if it starts behaving the same as 2.0...

  -- erno