question about Distutils

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Oct 1 05:09:23 EDT 2000

Jerome Alet <alet at unice.fr> writes:

> It only seems to be designed for modules or packages (libraries), not
> for python scripts we want to be installed in /usr/local/bin (for
> example) like complete software. Am I wrong ?
>
> The documentation doesn't give any hint (to me) on how to do that
> easily.

At least the more recent distutils versions support installing
scripts. You pass a scripts= keyword argument to setup, and then the
build_scripts/install_scripts commands will process them. In
particular, they will update the interpreter name in #! to the true
location of Python.

Hope this helps,
Martin