PEP 4: Deprecation of standard modules

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 9 10:37:59 EDT 2000

"Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic at nomadicsltd.com> writes:

[gopher should not be deprecated]
> Yes I agree.
>
> Although I am not using gopher myself, I am sure there is still lots of
> useful sitespeople have done in the past which deserve good access via
> Python. If anything, keeping gopherlib.py  means there is much more chance
> gophersites can be happily translated to later protocols. Python is a good
> tool for this.

Well, that is the whole point of the PEP. Without asking, I wouldn't
know which modules are still in use and which are not. I will
undeprecate the gopher module in the next revision of the PEP,
documenting who is using the module still. Then, ten years from now,
we can ask this person whether he is still using gopherlib, then in 50
years, and so on. Once he doesn't use it anymore, we can again
deprecate it and wait for somebody else to claim using it :-)

Regards,
Martin