SMTP receive as well as send

Paul Wright -$Paul$- at verence.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 20:07:16 EDT 2000

In article <39e8bfe4.2248931 at news.demon.nl>,
benny <benny at nairobi.demon.nl> wrote:
>I'm in need of an SMTP setup that will allow me to receive as well as
>send messages. The Python SMTPlib looked like a good bet but it seems
>to be send-only (kind of like the POP3 lib stuff seems to be read
>only).
>
>Can a kind soul help out a Python newbie and give me a few hints about
>how/where/etc. I could get an SMTP setup that works both ways please?
>(The PC is a Linux box.)

The Python libraries seem to be designed to do the things you'd want a
client to do: SMTP sending and POP3 receiving. If you want the server
end, I'd have a look in the Vaults of Parnassus (can't remember the URL,
a search engine should tell you): you may find someone's done this
already. If not, you could try doing it yourself, although unless
there's a pressing reason why it has to be in Python, I'd use one of the
many MTAs available for Linux, eg Exim <http://www.exim.org/>.  That's
what I use to get my mail from Demon via SMTP.

--
----- Paul Wright ------| struct SoftwareProfessional {
-paul.wright at pobox.com--|   double salary; long lunches; float  jobs; char