newbie

Rainer Deyke root at rainerdeyke.com
Fri Oct 20 12:33:50 EDT 2000

"Brett g Porter" <BgPorter at NOartlogicSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:0SXH5.72992$ib7.10053637 at news1.rdc1.nj.home.com...
> Well, yes and no. There's a sane and simple subset that's easily learned
and
> used. Most people never have need for the more obscure corners of the
> language. But when I need them, I'm comforted knowing that they're there.

The standard C++ library throws exceptions.  Operator 'new' throws an
exception on failure.  Thus, unless your sane subset uses the C library and
'malloc' instead of 'new', your code is either exception-safe or incorrect -
and 90% of all C++ code isn't the former.

>  By the same token WRT Python -- hands up, everyone who _really_
understands
> and can use the Beaudry hook. How far can you go as a Python programmer
> without that? Pretty far, but I love knowing that it's there should I ever
> need it.

That's the metaclass mechanism, right?  I'm confident that I will
successfully use it in my current project.

--
Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com