Wholly unnecessary flame. (was Re: pyXML!)

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Oct 1 03:52:28 EDT 2000

"Chui Tey" <teyc at bigfoot.com> writes:

> is there any reason why gcc on unix could not cross compile for windows and
> mac? Building for x86 linux, Windows and Mac would cover 90% of all users.

For Windows, there is indeed no reason. I use gcc as a cross-compiler
(host=Solaris, target=i386-pc-mingw) myself. The only drawback is that
the resulting import library for python.dll won't be VC++
compatible.

Likewise, it can't link the VC++-generated pythonxy.lib that comes
with your typical binary Windows distribution. So you can't use the
cross gcc to build extension modules. If you have some C++ sources in
your project (e.g. for use with ActiveX) you essentially have to give
up: gcc's C++ implementation is not binary compatible with
Microsoft's.

As for the Mac: which version? I believe gcc does not support 68k
Macs, and using it on PPC MacOS 8 or 9 is tricky. gcc is the default
compiler on MacOS X, but Apple had made some modifications. They did
publish those, but they are not part of gcc yet. Stan Shebs of Apple
is working on integrating them into gcc 3.

Regards,
Martin