python QT and windows

Boudewijn Rempt boud at
Mon Sep 25 19:10:00 CEST 2000

Cameron Laird <claird at> wrote:
> In article <8qgb9d$8od$1 at>,
> Boudewijn Rempt <boud at> wrote:
> 			.
> A bit of clarification:  early Tkinter did not
> use native Windows widgets.  Now Tkinter does
> (certainly with Python 1.5 and later).

> HOWEVER, while Tkinter uses Windows widgets for
> what it does, it doesn't offer all Windows widgets
> that a Win* developer might expect.

Well, that's the crux, I feel - while tkInter has two (that I know of)
very good high-level widgets - the canvas and the text editor - other
widgets have to be constructed in Python from more primitive tkInter
widgets.  The difference in look & feel between a native Windows treeview
and the one from IDLE is considerable.

> I summarize:  for Tkinter, what's there is native,
> but not everything native is there.

Boudewijn Rempt  |