Is anyone aware of any conflicts with Windows ME?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Thu Sep 14 21:15:08 EDT 2000

> I'll be receiving my new PC shortly and it is coming with Windows
> ME preloaded.  Has there been any testing with Python and ME.  I'd
> really hate to crash it as soon as I get it.

We've had only one beta tester report on Windows ME, using a prerelease of
Python 2.0b1.  Python installed fine, and all of the standard test suite
passed *except* for the new mmap module.  This appears to be a bug in
Microsoft's stuff, but since we don't have a copy of ME yet it's darned hard
to say.

However, since you seem to believe that a Microsoft operating system
crashing is something you can avoid, I'll assume you're a pretty new user of
Microsoft operating systems <wink>.  In that case, there's not much chance
you'll be *trying* to use the new mmap module (which provides an interface
to memory-mapped files, in case you're not a new user).  Even if you do, it
doesn't crash Windows when it fails, it just raises a Python exception.

windows-*loves*-being-rebooted-ly y'rs  - tim