Python Metalanguage confusticates and bebothers me...

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Sep 5 23:20:57 EDT 2000

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:

> "Dictionaries"
> aren't dictionaries at all, they're associative arrays.

_Dictionary_ is a relatively common computer science term for an
associative array.  I think your Inform background is showing, here.
:-)

> "Tuples" don't necessarily have three elements.

This one I don't follow.  _Tuple_ is a mathematical term for an element
of a Cartesian product of sets -- in fact, they're called "ordered
tuples."  The general count is n-tuple; a 2-tuple is a pair, and a
3-tuple is a triplet.  Maybe you were mixing up _triple_ and _tuple_?

/  \ Here day fights with night.
\__/ (the last words of Victor Hugo)
    Fat Boy and Little Man / http://www.fatboyandlittleman.com/
 Watch Fat Boy and Little Man go about their antics.