Setting The Path

Alex Martelli aleaxit at
Tue Sep 12 15:14:06 CEST 2000

"No Strezzz Cazzz" <PCP at> wrote in message
news:968761984.29196.0.pluto.d4ee1bae at
> >>     C:\Progra~1\Coding\Python
> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;C:\progra~1\CoDiNg\Python\
> That didn't work, so I tried settig it to:

There's an extra \ at the end wrt what I had suggested; that may
be the problem.

> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;C:\progra~1\CoDiNg\Python\python.exe
> That also didn't work. (I also tried to set the path without

Here, there's an extra \python.exe at the end.  The PATH is a list
of directories (where programs are found), not of programs themselves.

> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot% in front of it.
> When I want to run/execute the script (some lines of Python code written
> wordpad and saved as I keep getting the message that Windows
> find Program.exe And it asks me to specify the "Location of Program.exe"

What's "Program.exe"?  Do you mean "python.exe"?

Try saying explicitly:

c:\ c\progra~1\coding\python\python.exe c:\wherever\you\keep\it\

If this runs, then it's just a matter of PATH setting, as expected (i.e.,
probably, the extra \ you put at the end).

It seems it might be nice if the installer had a user-settable option
to add the Python directory to the PATH (on NT; it's a lost cause on
95/98... it's gotta be done by editing AUTOEXEC.BAT, and I _detest_
programs that do that...).  It would be a slight convenience for NT
users that have never changed their PATH before.