Is Python worth learning?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Sep 6 22:35:49 EDT 2000

In article <F7B78DB8B7C262F0.D0F0DA127338708C.493FFE6D5B5F7CB3 at lp.airnews.net>,
Cameron Laird <claird at starbase.neosoft.com> wrote:
>In article <8p1den$a13$1 at panix2.panix.com>, Aahz Maruch <aahz at panix.com> wrote:
>>In article <DLWs5.133010$QD5.1603303 at news.corecomm.net>, lynx  <a at b.c> wrote:
>>>
>>>however, the point i tried to make was that python isn't meant to directly
>>>compete with java in all those places java was meant to be The Language(tm),
>>>that python wasn't built to replace java. not to speak for Guido, of course,
>>>but i'd be rather surprised to learn that it was.
>>
>>Given that Python predates Java, that would be impossible unless Guido
>>used his Time Machine.
>			.
>			.
>			.
>... and, in any case, even when he speaks for himself,
>Guido says, "Java and Python: a perfect couple"
><URL:http://gamelan.earthweb.com/journal/techfocus/081798_jpython.html>.
			.
			.
			.
A couple of people have already pointed out to me that this URL
404s.  Elsewhere in this thread, Andrew Kuchling observed that
google caches a copy at
<URL:http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:gamelan.earthweb.com/journal/techfocus/081798_jpython.html>.  I just got word from Gamelan that the
article moved to <URL:http://www.earthweb.com/
dlink.resource-jhtml.72.1401.|
repository||common|content|article|19980817|gm_jpython|jpython~xml.0.jhtml?
cda=true>.

Gamelan has no intention of repairing all their broken links.
That's what I'm told, at least.  I'm working to locate a contact
with whom we can register our strong disapproval.

--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net