Python 2.0b1 is released!

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 05:35:31 EDT 2000

"Bernhard Herzog" <herzog at online.de> wrote in message
news:m3hf7s3xvy.fsf at greebo.nodomain.de...
> Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 07 Sep 2000 12:09:59 +0200, Bristol <bristol at users.ch> declaimed
> > the following in comp.lang.python:
> >

> > > That's going too fast; first you need to call it by the name of a
venomous
> > > snake...
> > >
> > I think "Asp" is already taken... <G>
> >
> > Uh, and "Fer-de-lance" would choke command line parsers...
>
> Well, "Adder" would keep with the tradition of referring to comedy TV
> programs and it would even be related to computing.

***Yes***!  Specifically, "the second word of names of wonderful
British TV comedy series, that also happens to name a kind of snake".
(Uh, I guess there must not be many left after these, must there?)

I guess "Black Adder" didn't get as much international exposure as
"Monty Python" (I myself found out about it only after liking "Mr
Bean" so much that I started looking for anything Rowan Atkinson
had ever done...:-).

Alex