Python 2.0b1 is released!

Remco Gerlich scarblac-spamtrap at
Thu Sep 7 10:31:23 CEST 2000

Remco Gerlich wrote in comp.lang.python:
> Grant Edwards wrote in comp.lang.python:
> > >There is something *you* can do, though:  tell CNRI how important Python's
> > >GPL-compatibility is to you,
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out how GPL compatibility (or lack thereof) affects the
> > user.
> For instance, I'm linking Python 2 with the readline lib now (which is GPL).
> That's standard on Linux.
> If the two aren't compatible, I don't have a license to use the resulting
> binary. Since I have combined incompatible licenses, I don't have a license
> to the software at all.

I was wrong here. *Using* the program is unrestricted, no problem.
But I can't give the binary to a friend, since that is distribution, and it
would be under both licenses, which the FSF believes to be incompatible.

Remco Gerlich,  scarblac at

   This is no way to be
     Man ought to be free      -- Ted Bundy
       That man should be me