Compiling Python 1.6 under MacOS X ...

Fredrik Lundh effbot at
Sun Sep 24 14:09:13 CEST 2000

tim wrote:
> So, like I said, I have no idea what the new problem may be with OSX.
> For every pair of distinct files X and Y in the distribution, if X and Y are
> in the same directory, the names of X and Y differ by more than just
> case.

not *after* you've built the distribution:

$ more Modules/
# This target is used by the master Makefile to link the final binary.
link:  $(MAINOBJ)
    $(LDLIBRARY) $(MODLIBS) $(LIBS) $(SYSLIBS) -o python$(EXE) $(LDLAST)
  mv python$(EXE) ../python$(EXE)

note the last line -- after the interpreter has been built, it's moved
from Modules to Modules/../python.  If EXE isn't set, and you're on
a case-insensitive system, the interpreter will end up in the Python