Printing Architecture

lynnb at yogananda-srf.org lynnb at yogananda-srf.org
Thu Sep 21 12:54:25 EDT 2000

I'd like some advice/help from the Python community on technology for
printing documents generated from browser-based intranet applications
and/or batch production jobs.

Most of the documents would be printed from back-end servers, but
some internal documents would need to be printed directly by the user
from the browser.

The basic requirements are:
--Consistent, predictable printed output (at least for server-based
printing, not so important for printing from browser)
--Runnable from batch script without user intervention
--Dynamic programmed selection of target printer, orientation, page
size, form type, duplex option, etc.

Highly desirable:
--Portable across operating systems
--Uses same or similar API for both printing and display (preferably
HTML)
--Standards-based to leverage existing layout/formatting/printer
management tools

Although HTML gives limited control over page layout, it is probably
sufficient for our report and business document needs.  But it would
need to be extended with tags for page size, orientation, logical
printer name, etc.

Piddle is also a possiblity, but it's a low-level API, and is quite
different from the HTML we would also need to generate for soft-copy
display.

One solution would be to generate PostScript or PDF from HTML, then
print with GhostScript or Acrobat Reader.  There's a Perl HTML2PS
utility.  Anything available in Python?  Commercial products?
Although the Grail browser project is apparently defunct, it might be
mined for this purpose.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

TIA,

Lynn Blickenstaff