What is Python?

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Thu Sep 21 14:27:56 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8shv0u.ob.tim at degree.ath.cx>, tim at degree.ath.cx says...

>Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote:
>> I'm sure Larry Wall is a nice guy, but his language is pretty mean: it
>> has more "$@#!$!" curse words than a "Beetle Bailey" comic strip on one
>> of Sarge's bad days. [snipped nauseating pseudo-emot]

In article <slrn8shv0u.ob.tim at degree.ath.cx>, tim at degree.ath.cx says...

>Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote:
>> I'm sure Larry Wall is a nice guy, but his language is pretty mean: it
>> has more "$@#!$!" curse words than a "Beetle Bailey" comic strip on one
>> of Sarge's bad days. [snipped nauseating pseudo-emot]

Sorry about all those "nauseating pseudo-emot's", as you call them, Tim--I have
kind of a bad habit on those. <'wink' expurgated>

But since you're already fluent in Perl, next time you see comp.lang.python's
favorite pseudo-emot, you might just want to think of its comp.lang.perl.misc
mantral analog:

   "Why don't you just grep the FAQ, idiot?"

(Which reminds me: What _is_ Python? <wink>)

>Those curse symbols have spoiled me, I admit.  When I can just tell by
>looking at a variable whether it's a scalar, array, hash, or function
>instead of having to remember how I defined it to begin with, I can
>get on with the coding.  This comes in handy in scaled apps when you
>can't remember defining it at all.

Hey, if you're a fan of "Hungarian Notation", that'll work just fine in Python:
just use a naming convention of your choice in place of Perl's punctuation.

(But I don't think Tom Christiansen is gonna approve...)

i-seem-to-recall-that-he-doesn't-like-hungarian,-but-i-didn't
   -actually-find-anything-about-it-when-i-grepped-the-perl-faq
   -just-now-<wink>-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com