Thinking about "print >>"

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Sep 2 07:01:00 EDT 2000

[Roy Smith]
> I havn't followed the entire discussion of "print >>", so forgive me if
> this covers ground that's been gone over already.

[David]
> It's a done deal.  Signed, sealed and delivered.  Any further
> discussions on it are entirely pointless.  The die is cast, the
> stone is set.  Etc.
>
> In other words, it's been implemented and ain't never gonna be changed.

Well, not that hardly anyone will *know* of.  Guido changes lots of things and then clouds
our minds into believing they either were or weren't there before.  This is a lot cheaper
than firing up his time machine!  That's extreme. *Nobody* remembers when he does that,
not even him.  "print >> file" isn't that big of a deal -- he'll just quietly take it out
some day, and act surprised when the people who came to love it act hurt.  Same thing
happened when he took out curly braces!  Although after repeating the Big Curly Lie for 6
years, very few people still remember that they used to be required.

and-btw-it's-*always*-been-"beopen-python"-ly y'rs  - tim