Python Strings

John W. Baxter jwbnews at scandaroon.com
Wed Sep 20 13:50:42 EDT 2000

In article <8qanle$g5c$1 at newshost.accu.uu.nl>, m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
(Martijn Faassen) wrote:

> > For other kinds of things (attributes,
> > properties, dictionary words, objects, classes, ...) the
> > value stored is a unique ordinal number.  (So, the first
> > dictionary word that appears in the code will be 1, and
> > so on.  The first property declared will also be 1.  And
> > the first object.  Et cetera.)
>
> I'm not sure I understand this. Does this mean you have addresses here
> as well, but in a fixed range (or array indices, if you like).

The way I've seen this done is to restrict the range of integer, and use
the bits at one end or the other as a type indicator.  Often the low end
is used and pointers (and their objects) are constrained to suitable
address boundaries.  Often the high end is used and part of the address
space is "lost".

  --John

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at scandaroon.com