Public Domain Python

Adam Sampson azz at gnu.org
Thu Sep 14 08:06:33 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> writes:

> which-is-why-richard-stallman-insists-we-call-'linux'
>    -'the-gnu/linux-system'-<<fat chance>>-ly y'rs,

While articles saying "Linux, a complete clone of Unix written by
Linus Torvalds" annoy me, they don't annoy me half as much as articles
saying "Under Linux, ls -l lists files in long format".

When you _mean_ "Unix-like" or "GNU", _say_ "Unix-like" or "GNU". Most
"Beginners' Guide To Linux" documents work just as well for commercial
Unices, BSD or even GNU/Hurd. (Interestingly, there's now a
"BSD/Linux" system, Mastodon, at
http://www.pell.chi.il.us/~orc/Mastodon/; worth a look if you like the
BSD utilities better than the GNU ones.)

--

Adam Sampson
azz at gnu.org