You can never go down the drain...

John W. Baxter jwbnews at
Wed Sep 27 16:28:13 CEST 2000

In article <wCgA5.844$d5.51939 at>, "Fredrik Lundh"
<effbot at> wrote:

> But nobody can convince me that line noise is the best way to
> talk to a string matching engine -- as soon as you go beyond the
> regular basics (literals, dot, star, ranges), there are better ways
> to express yourself.

Well, the interface doesn't *have* to be line noise.  The alternative I
had a tiny early part in will strike many here as "verbose:" that was
intentional.  It is verbose:  it is also *highly* readable.  And it
includes a decent solution to greedy vs non-greedy for those who care.

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at