Of what use is 'lambda'???

James Felix Black jfb at visi.com
Sun Sep 24 17:37:10 EDT 2000

> > > I have a question.  What is the difference between functional
> > > programming and procedural programming?  I know I should know
> > > this, but...
> >
> > To start with, in functional programming everything returns a value.
>
> That's true in C and Inform, but I think both are traditionally
> regarded as procedural.  Is the difference that the returned
> value is always significant?  Or is there more?

In a functional language, unlike C or Python, there are no side
effects; all functions, when called with the same arguments, are
guaranteed to produce identical results.  In addition, functional
languages are referentially transparent.

Programs written in functional languages are a set of functions whose
return value is the output of the program.

HTH,
(jfb)

--
My fellow Americans.  As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball,
but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward, upward not