Python 2.0b1 is released!

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sat Sep 9 11:31:22 EDT 2000

Robin Becker wrote:

> In article <LNBBLJKPBEHFEDALKOLCOEIHHEAA.tim_one at email.msn.com>, Tim
> Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> writes
> >
> >There is something *you* can do, though:  tell CNRI how important Python's
> >GPL-compatibility is to you, and also tell the FSF!  They're the ones who
> >have to reach agreement here.  Given CNRI's and the FSF's positions today,
> >there is nothing BeOpen.com can do on its own to make Python 2.0
> >GPL-compatible according to the FSF's current view.  The only parties with
> >the power to change that are CNRI and the FSF, so the best thing you can do
> >to help is to tell them that you personally need to see them resolve this.
> >If they don't, all Python users will suffer (even the ones who don't like
> >the GPL -- they owe a debt to their GPL brethren whether they acknowledge it
> >or not).

I hereby acknowledge a debt to GPL programmers and their programs, but
none whatsoever to the GPL itself.  (In fact, I bet my open-source debt
would be much greater if the GPL had never managed to "free" itself from
the confines of Richard Stallman's overactive jurisprudential cranium.
<wink>)

> >i'd-rather-be-programming-myself-ly y'rs  - tim
>
> These licensing issues seem more and more crazy, the GPL seems to me to
> be more trouble than it's worth.

You're right: Just say "no".  I manage to live my whole life very
happily without it.

and-quite-glad-i'm-still-'free'-to-do-so-<wink>-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com